Everything
Is OK
Photobucket
anne maree barry says hi

I started this blog in 2007. No one had heard of The Wire and I was making experimental films that a select few saw. My initial tagline for this blog was: 'I write concisely. always. I'm trying to improve this - however, sometimes few words work better'. Then I found Twitter. However, I still post here once a week, so feel free to comment or just to simply say hii.
affiliates

AnneMareeBarry Still Films Dark Light Paul Rowley Eoghan Kidney Alan Butler My Tweets My Vimeo Common Ground Mad decent Warrior One Cake
Thursday, October 29, 2009 @ 5:44 AM
L Vis 1990
I don't blog as much as I'd like to these days, however, when I find something that is really worth sharing I stop editing and go for it. Nic James - one of Dublin's finest DJs and resident of Toe Jam at the Bernard Shaw, told me about L-VIS 1990 a few weeks ago, mumblings about being an old man at a gig with youngsters/hipsters but gushing about a great young DJ that makes his own crazy music videos. Nic James was correct with his trend predicting as L VIS 1990 has the most exciting 'sound' I have heard in a long time. Hyper Bass draws on all 'aspects of dance music that have really inspired me over the last 6 years. Electro, Breaks, Dub step, B-more, Booty Bass and Drum & Bass… its all about the energy.' ( L VIS 1990 via Electrique Boutique )Hyper Bass does express an energy infused amalgamation of genres and subgenres with tribal drum beats thrown in for good measure.

What's interesting to me and to the ethic of this blog, is the cut and paste aesthetic of LVIS 1990's videos. The visual is synching to the sound and tempo of it, something I am aspiring to create in my own work. DJ Yoda uses popular references (eg. The Simpsons) in his live 'multimedia' shows but what visual sources does someone use whilst playing a sound that is essentially 'new'?

'the bass music sound is a lot more complex and varied. I have this thing in mind for my AV set. There is a Japanese film called Tetsuo, a really dark, hyperactive, industrial film about guy whose body mutates into to a machine…There are some incredible visual snippets that I'm going to try and match to my sounds. Its gonna be intense audiovisual assault!'

Have a look here at United Groove as a recent sample of work:

L VIS 1990 is playing at The Button Factory, Dublin on December 4th.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 comments
monthly archive

August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 April 2009 August 2009 October 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 November 2010 March 2011
recent entries

Zombie Land Crag Hill (2009) @ Straylight - The Darklight Film... ***Update The Wire Bible Tweet Tweet all grown up crystal maze this is where i wander Boy 8 Bit bubbly bubbly