Everything
Is OK
Photobucket
anne maree barry says hi

I started this blog in 2007. No one had heard of The Wire and I was making experimental films that a select few saw. My initial tagline for this blog was: 'I write concisely. always. I'm trying to improve this - however, sometimes few words work better'. Then I found Twitter. However, I still post here once a week, so feel free to comment or just to simply say hii.
affiliates

AnneMareeBarry Still Films Dark Light Paul Rowley Eoghan Kidney Alan Butler My Tweets My Vimeo Common Ground Mad decent Warrior One Cake
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 @ 1:07 PM
Absence makes the heart grow
My absence on this blog has been due to a number of elements - some meets, contemplative moods, a 16mm film course, live music and social behavior. This was a necessity as there are only so many clips one can watch on You Tube for inspiration.
Jamie Lidell @ The Academy, Dublin

Jamie Lidell at The Academy (May 3rd) was a disappointment. He came out on stage and burst into song - without taking a breath he sang two more. His voice does sound great live but I felt uncomfortable - it was obvious that he was going through the hundrum routine of another gig. The best part was when a member of his backing band started messing with a vocoder (it was so ridiculous that I laughed out loud) - and Lidell went back to what he knows best - using effects and samples. At the latter half of the gig he repeated the 3 songs he sang at the start but with a different rhythm. This is something you can have perhaps at a dancehall show but maybe not at this kind of gig - especially when I had actually paid for my ticket. The main thing I'll take from this gig is that there is only one person that can get away with wearing silk-pjama-like trousers on stage, and that's Jamie Lidell.

Jamie Lidell @ The Academy, Dublin

Ghostface Killah was at the Tivoli, May 15th. The first forty minutes were kind of great, however it abruptly transformed into a pantomime. Girls from the crowd were asked to go on stage to dance around to a track about pussy. It subsequently got worse with a battle between Dub-a-lin wannabe rappers - which was embarrassing. No encore, just the guys that MC with Ghostface selling t-shirts and CDs - shouldn't that happen in the venue - not from the stage?

GhostFace Killah @ The Tivoli, Dublin - last pic - pimping out merchandise

After all these disappointments, I went to Ladytron last Friday (May 16th) at Tripod with no expectations. They revived my interest in live music - making visual cinematic landscapes with their sound. If they are at The Electric Picnic this year I will definitely go and see them.
Nothing beats women that rock.

Ladytron @ Tripod, Dublin
Ladytron @ Tripod, Dublin
all pics by A.M.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments
monthly archive

August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 April 2009 August 2009 October 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 November 2010 March 2011
recent entries

Multiple Fictions Inner City Pressure MissOgnUs Mega Mix Peter Campus @ Albion, London The Duke Spirit Penguins Rock! Roommating Sexual Eruption I heart technology Fat Dogs and Meat Love